Saudi Arabia accuses Iran of ‘act of war against the kingdom’

Saudi Arabia accuses Iran of ‘act of war against the kingdom’

Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.


Saudi Arabia has stepped up its bellicose rhetoric against Iran, accusing its arch-rival of supplying missiles to Yemeni rebels in “an act of war against the kingdom”.

Mohammed bin Salman, the increasingly powerful crown prince whose weekend crackdown on corruption was endorsed by Donald Trump, accused Iran of “direct military aggression” according to the state news agency.

Saudi air defences on Saturday intercepted a ballistic missile fired from Yemen, causing debris to fall on an uninhabited area near Riyadh airport.

Javad Zarif, Iran’s foreign minister, on Monday accused Saudi Arabia of engaging in wars of aggression and regional bullying, describing its actions as “destabilising behaviour and risky provocations”, with Riyadh blaming the consequences on the Islamic republic.

The war of words across the Gulf threatens to heat up the stalemated proxy conflict in Yemen, where Saudi Arabia in 2015 led a coalition of Sunni states against the Houthi rebels, who are allied to Shia-led Iran. The conflict, leaving more than 10,000 dead, has created a humanitarian crisis in the impoverished Arab state.

Riyadh also accuses Iran of interference in Syria, Iraq and Lebanon, further creating potential flash points as the two Gulf superpowers face off against one another for influence across the Arab world.

Mr Trump endorsed Saudi Arabia’s weekend move against corruption, defending the action against dozens of princes, ministers and business titans that has raised concerns among Investors in the kingdom.

The US president on Monday night tweeted his “great confidence” in King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, saying “they know exactly what they are doing”.

The crown prince’s raid on graft has shaken the Gulf monarchy, netting suspects such as billionaire Investor Prince Alwaleed bin Talal and Prince Miteb bin Abdullah, a son of the former king.

“Some of those they are harshly treating have been ‘milking’ their country for years!” he added.

Mr Trump, who made his first overseas presidential visit to Riyadh in May, has developed a close relationship with the Saudi authorities, who have enthusiastically backed his hawkish stance on regional foe Iran, which Riyadh accuses of interference across the Muslim world.

Jared Kushner, Mr Trump’s son-in-law and a senior adviser to the president, travelled to Saudi Arabia last week to discuss the Israel-Palestinian peace process, according to a White House official.

The president’s endorsement comes as Investors grapple with the implications of a crackdown that has imprisoned senior officials and business leaders.

Many Saudis have welcomed the move as a long overdue bid to clean up financial abuse as the government continues austerity measures to deal with the sustained slump in oil prices.

Others, however, have been alarmed at the breadth of the purge, fearing a knock-on effect on confidence among the country’s business elite at a time when Prince Mohammed’s reform programme is seeking to boost Investment.

Worries that the Investigations amount to a politically inspired purge of potential opposition to the crown prince’s meteoric rise have also been rejected by Saudi officials.

One Saudi official source told the FT that the purpose of the measures against princes and officials was “to eradicate corruption and hold individuals accountable”.

The source expressed “surprise” at the statements of some media outlets “falsely claiming these measures were conducted for other purposes”.

Prince Alwaleed has been arrested on allegations including money laundering, bribery and extortion of officials, the source said.

Prince Miteb bin Abdullah was arrested on claims of embezzlement, fraudulent employment and awarding contracts to his own companies, the source said.

The source denied that Prince Miteb was opposed to Prince Mohammed’s accession, saying he was “among the first officials” to pledge his allegiance.

Prince Turki bin Abdullah, the former deputy governor of Riyadh, is suspected of corruption related to the $22.5bn Riyadh Metro project, the source added, saying he had exploited his influence to award contracts to companies affiliated with the son of former King Abdullah.

These allegations, under Investigation, could not be immediately verified and the suspects are not contactable.

The attorney-general has said the judicial process will run independently and all suspects are innocent until proven guilty.

Additional reporting by Barney Jopson in Washington



Source: ft.com

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


%d bloggers like this: